Image HTML map generator

Friday, December 2, 2016

PERSONAL | the collective


This project began from an assignment for my Typography II course back in January. The brief was to design book of interviews revolving around a single theme or concept. I decided I wanted to interview young creatives of different backgrounds to find out more about their unique creative journeys in hopes to create more transparency within the art scene.

The inspiration behind this project came from a time when I struggled with my own abilities as a graphic designer. When I first started my major courses at SCAD I couldn't understand why I had trouble coming up with creative designs when it seemed so easy for my peers. For a brief moment, I thought that maybe graphic design--or art school in general--might not be for me after all. Maybe I wasn't as much of a creative as I thought I was, and maybe being an illustrator on the side was as good as it was going to get for me.

Fast forward a year and half, after lot of soul-searching and conversations with friends and professors later, I finally realised that that feeling of fear, of uncertainty was something that most people feel and that it is actually a very healthy part of the learning process. And the more I shared my thoughts, the more other people were willing to share theirs.

So this was how The Collective came to fruition. It is a collection of stories--a place for artists to talk about the kick-ass stuff they create and also a space for them give insight on their philosophies, processes, and past experiences to other young artists who are also looking to join the industry.

I'm really excited to see this project grow. Thanks for reading my spiel and stay tuned for the first round of interviews~

No comments:

Post a Comment