Image HTML map generator

Thursday, July 23, 2015

TRAVEL | tsukiji 築地市場

Tsukiji market is just one of those places you have to visit when you're in Tokyo. You don't really have to go to Tokyo Tower, don't really have to visit all the temples..but Tsukiji is definitely worth the trip. The market is famously known for its tuna auctions, which take place in the early hours of the morning (5-6am). It's a once in a lifetime sort of experience–once you've seen it, there is no need to go again. I've visited the tuna auctions the first time I visited Tokyo. Here's the original post from tumblr (2013) & I've included a few pictures (5, 6, & 7) I took from last time.

"Woke up at 3am to catch the tuna auctions at Tsukiji Fish Market. We decided the previous day to group up with a fellow hostel roommate since Kelly and I were still quite unfamiliar with the city. Turns out, waking up at 3am was still considered late, and we ended up being put in group B. This means we didn’t get to see the tuna auction until 5:50-6 in the morning. Tip for any future Tokyo travelers: [1] Go early in your trip (so you’re still jet lagged), [2] bring a book & snackfoods (you will be waiting)."




This time my sole mission was to find awesome sushi at Tsukiji. According to yelp and many other travel guides Sushi Dai and Daiwa Sushi are the ones to visit. However, both restaurants had 3-4 hour minimum waits–even at 9am!!! I wasn't about to spend so much time waiting for sushi so I went for the 3rd best option: { Sushi Sei }. No lines at all, and the sushi was amazing. I couldn't be happier about my decision. And the price was justified for such a tourist spot. I even had enough yen to buy myself an equally delicious green tea soft serve in a random stall inside the market.

I was a really good morning, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment